Reasons Why People Take a Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction Course Include:
- Medical conditions such as chronic pain, fibromyalgia, heart disease, asthma, emphysema, gastrointestinal problems, cancer, sleep and skin disorders, and immune problems.
- Chronic and short-term stress due to work, life changes, family issues, and illness.
- Psychological and emotional concerns such as anxiety, phobias, panic, grief, and depression.
During the years this program has been offered at UMass Medical School and around the world, participants have reported benefits such as:
- Increased ability to relax
- Decrease in pain and increase in ability to cope with chronic pain
- Reduction in symptoms of anxiety and depression
- Improved overall health
- More energy and enthusiasm
- More self confidence
- Resilience in the face of health and life challenges
- Greater sense of compassion for self and others